Thursday, July 3, 2008

AUSTRALIA!

I love Australia so far! I’m making tons of friends… mostly exchange/study abroad students like me. There aren’t any Australians on campus really because they’re on break. Classes start the 14th so that’s when they’ll be back. Speaking of classes I was trying to do my schedule earlier this morning, and there are 3 of my classes at the same time, so I don’t know what’s going on there. I have to figure that out today by 5pm (it’s 9:45am Thursday right now).

Anyway, I have friends from Holland, Denmark, the UK, Germany, Canada, a couple from America, other places that I can’t remember right now. Pretty much everyone’s really friendly, trying to make as many friends as possible.

My room’s nice, it’s a tiny room with my bed and desk connected to another tiny room with a nice chair and closet/drawers & stuff… which means I have a pretty huge space just for myself.
It’s cold here! Luckily someone lent me a jacket until mine comes in the mail. Who pictures Australia as cold??? And VERY windy!

It’s so strange… most of the time I forget I’m in a foreign country. Maybe it’s because I’m not around many Australians yet, but walking around Melbourne and the town I’m in, Clayton and the ones around that we’ve gone shopping in… It’s all a lot like America. I haven’t had culture shock or anything. It’s hard trying to remember to look the opposite direction when crossing the road. Also, the slow lane is to the left which I never would have thought about. Also, Australia has a water shortage, and I guess it’s been like that for a while because all of the toilets I’ve used have half flushes or full flushes, so you can choose to use less or more water.

Melbourne is cool so far. I’ve been in twice but stayed pretty close to the train station because we went in late and everything closes early. What I’ve seen so far is really funky and beautiful.

I’ll write more later, and try to put some pictures up. I have to go meet for orientation. Miss everyone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there! Don't let any of those crazy blokes do you in!

Unknown said...

I am sooo glad you got there safe and sound! Have a blast and get those pics up!!!
xoxo
Cady