Sunday, July 6, 2008

kangaroo

the food has been pretty good since i've gotten here. there's a bunch of eateries in the student center and then there's a dining hall right by all of the residence halls. for a while we ate out most of the meals, but now that we're all settling in we've been cooking and stuff. last night my friend Linda and i made gnocchi for dinner, with mushrooms and zucchini. YUM. i've fallen in love with mushrooms since the plane ride. they used to remind me of ears but now they remind me of yumminess.

My first night into Melbourne we went to a Thai place in Chinatown (why not Chinese food?). It was good. My friend Sarah ordered stir fry. Her meat of choice... kangaroo. ....... WHAT??? They eat KANGAROOS here?!?!?!?! What part of the kangaroo? No clue. Do they raise kangaroos like they raise cattle at home? No clue. All I know is that I was shocked to find out they eat the cute, hoppy creatures. I do have to admit that for .5 seconds I considered abandoning being a vegetarian just so I could say I ate kangaroo meat. I think they described it as tasting like chicken but more gamey. It looked like very dark steak, not like the cute animal I expected to see when I got here.

No comments: